Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Checkmate!

I've started playing this game.. It seems like it's never ending. A game of strategy, I must not only make my next move a move that will put me in a position to win, but I also have to make my next move a good defensive one. I can't allow my opponent to intimidate or control this game. I must take control early, and capitilize on my opponents mistakes, when he makes them.

The game had started, and we were even. Not yet making a move, I pondered what my first move should be. After pondering for while, I made my move. A move my opponent seems to have suspected me making, for he quickly makes his move without hesitation, and we are back even again. We traded irrelevant moves for a short time, neither one of us gaining anything from the moves though. I had entered back into my thought process and began wondering how I could take the lead for good. I began to make my move, but caught myself, and realized that it was the obvious move that my opponent more than likely had anticipated me making. After examining the board once again I then noticed a move that my opponent would never suspect and therefore not have a counter for. As my hand reached out to make my move, my opponent outstretched his hand as well as if he already knew his next move. I hesitated a little, but then continued with my previously decided move. Upon making my move he then retracted his hand and examined the board. He in fact was not expecting me to make that move and now had to reevaluate his strategy, and his possible moves. No longer sure how to gain momentum and composure, he made his move. I noticed the mistake he had made and capitilized on it. His next move, like his last, quickly made and poorly planned. I captured one of his most powerful pieces, and in doing so, I had infiltrated his mind, knowing exactly how the rest of the game will go. There is no way I could lose now. He, in return, captured one of my pieces, but one of little importance to me. Simply a decoy to lure him in, and it did just that. My next move pretty much ending the game, captured yet another one of his dominate pieces.


"Check!"


His next move removed him from check, but didn't, in any way, improve his chances of not losing this game. I move.


"Check!"


He began to see what I saw. He had no chance of winning, he could simply play this game of cat and mouse; I backed him into a corner, he squeezed out of it, but not for long. Although noticing this, I could tell in his eyes that he would not just lay down and die but instead tried to prolong the game. He moved, only in his attempt to draw out the game, he opened the door for me to walk right in and win. I move.


"Checkmate!"


I stood up, shook his hand, and thanked him for the good game he played. I then, turned around and walked out of his office, and headed to my car....




I had walked into that job interview more nervous than I had ever been. Wondering if I should have maybe worn the blue suit instead of the black one, or wearing the red tie instead of the black and silver pinstriped one. I had tried preparing myself before the interview, but upon my arrival, I had seen that I just had to go off of my interviewer. And I did just that. I began telling him about myself, my college education, both undergrad, and graduate. He responded telling me of his background, his schooling which included a Bachelor's, Master's, and a Doctorate. I, then informed him of my interest in the position I was seeking, and my goals for not only that position, but the company as a whole, if hired. He followed that asking a few questions that evaluated my personality and how I was as a person. I then reached into my briefcase, and handed him my resume. Attached to the resume was a five year plan that I had composed for myself within their corporation, anticipating I would get the job. I could tell, by the way he sat up in his leather desk chair, uncrossed his legs, and thorougly examined both my resume, and the five year plan, that he had never had an interviewee of the sort. Slightly smirking, it was obvious he was impressed by what had just been presented to him. Wanting to ask a difficult question in an attempt to catch me off-guard, he asked, "had there ever been an instance in which I had to make a difficult decision, if so, when?" Amused by the simplicity of the question, I paused, and then answered, "I once held a managerial position at Best Buy, and was over a number of employees, some of which had become good friends. One of the employees, as well as my friend, had not been working to the necessary calibur required of the job. I had spoken with him several times about his work ethic and his production within the company. Nothing had changed after the several times I had spoken with him, and was forced to release him from his position." He then asked, "Are there any questions that you have for me?" I shook my head and replied, "No, sir."


"Is Monday at 7:30a.m. too soon for you to start?" He asked. "No sir, Monday at 7:30 is perfect." I replied, as we both stood up. We shook hands, and I thanked him for the opportunity, and assured him that I wouldn't disappoint him. I then, turned around and walked out of his office, and headed to my car.


Checkmate!

No comments:

Post a Comment